Thursday, June 3, 2010

parrot breeding

1.I feed my parrots a mix of mealies,barley.sorghum which i cook let cool and feed this mix to the birds. Is this healthy as the birds dont have excess to this type of food in the wild.
2.in winter i remove the nest boxes from may to end july, clean them out and add new nesting material.does this effect the birds breeding cycle.
3.can i add wheatgerm oil to the you chicks soft food mix, does this effect them.
4.why do some parrots and parakeets pluck their young in the nest box.
5.prior to the breeding season when is the best timw to feed the following
sprouting seeds, high protein softfood, and adding vitamins and mineral supplements

3 comments:

Stuart said...

Could you please tell me where I could possibly purchase a few pairs of the Roul-roul partridges from? I'm also interested in buying some pied grass finches. If you know of any breeders, could you please forward me their particulars.
Regards
Stuart Letard

Mike Pidduck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike Pidduck said...

Hi Stuart.
You can contact one of our members, Tinus Oberholzer on 084 458 1199 who might be able to get you some Roul Rouls.
As far as pied Grass Finches are concerned, to my knowledge there are none in SA. You may be able to get some from overseas but they too are rare over there.
Best wishes,
Mike Pidduck